Thursday, November 29, 2007

 

My Little Emergency

In case you haven't already heard, we had a pretty eventful day Tuesday. Before I tell you about what happened, I just want to let you know that everything is OK.

Tuesday started out well. Mommy was there when I woke up, daddy was home from work soon, and I had my usual visit from Lauren who is one of my therapists. My therapy went outstanding. We tried out my speaking valve when I was off my vent. It makes me talk a lot louder, helps with swallowing and such, and helped me keep my tongue in more which is what Lauren is trying to focus on. Daddy went to bed to get some sleep after a long 12 hour work shift and it would be me and mommy for most of the day. Mommy put me in my "bike" and we were having a great time. I was playing at the fridge when I dropped one of my letter magnets. I began reaching for it before mommy could get if for me and my weight shifted in such a way that the bike toppled over. Not being able to catch myself, my head hit the hard wood floor. My head hit hard enough so that I don't remember what happened. Daddy says that I was crying but I was pretty much unconscious so I probably shouldn't remember anything, which is probably why I was asking for my "bike" less than a couple of hours later. Anyway, being off my vent at the time, mommy picked me up and ran me to my vent to ensure I was breathing adequately. Mommy then yelled and ran and got daddy. Keep in mind that this was around 12:30 and daddy had only been asleep for about 2 hours. Daddy ran downstairs in a daze not knowing what was going on except that "Lili fell". Daddy tried to keep me awake as my eyes occasionally rolled back and I stared off into space and was not moving. In the meantime, mommy was calling 911. An ambulance and several rescue people arrived very quickly, placed me on a backboard and braced my head. As they were bracing me I was starting to wake up and was scared with all the strange people around me. They loaded me up into the ambulance. Daddy rode with me and mommy followed behind. As we started driving away I was getting back to my normal self. Due to all of the excitement and the long ride to St. John's hospital, I took my first nap in a week or more. We got to the hospital and I immediately woke up when the doctors started poking and prodding. We spent a total of 7 hours in that hospital just to have a CT scan which came back normal. Good thing daddy shoved some books in his pockets as we were leaving the house or our time there would have been miserable. Mommy had to drive back home shortly after we got there to get some things she forgot and that I would need for the ride home. She also brought me some more toys to keep me occupied. Once my back and neck braces were removed (quite a while into my hospital visit) I was asking to sit up and stand up and playing as if nothing had happened. I had my first CT scan which was neat but kind of scary. Good thing they let daddy stand right by my side and talk to me. I pouted a little bit but I was a big strong girl. I slept good that night, stayed up till almost 9:00 before doing so. Things were a little bit low key today because mommy and daddy wanted me to take it easy, but I feel fine and had a wonderful day with the both of them. Mommy bought me a helmet today and everyone is going to watch me even closer to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Mommy and daddy were pretty shaken up but they are much better now that they know I am OK.

Comments:
Liliana Sue, your fall scared Nana and Papa a whole lot!
We are so glad that you are O.K. and can't wait to see a picture of you in your new helmet - hopefully you won't hate wearing it.
You are such a big strong girl, we're sure this little mishap isn't going to slow you down one bit.
We love you!!!
 
glad everything is ok with Lili we miss you guys shes getting so big cant wait to see her pictures with Santa (please post)see ya later

NICU
 
Daddy, we need a birthday update and a picture of Liliana in her helmet!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?